Mayday-SA is a group of volunteers offering a confidential and compassionate support network to South African aviation licence holders.
Mayday-SA is not a revenue generating entity and depends on the contributions, financial and in kind, of our partners and sponsors to deliver on our value proposition, vision and goals.
Mayday-SA is a sustainable internationally respected independent peer-based network supporting the wellbeing of each and every license holder thereby contributing to safety within the Southern African Aviation Community.
OUR CORE PURPOSE
Mayday-SA is a volunteer peer-based support structure responding to aviation license holders in crisis.
We provide confidential support to colleagues, and their families and friends who may feel isolated and experience difficulty coping with emotional reactions and responses to circumstances arising from Critical Incidents and other forms of Life Crises.
The lives of pilots and aircrew are very challenging in terms of balancing work and home life demands; the constant pressure to pass continual cycles of assessments where “failure” means loss of a license and a job; the challenging high-altitude operational environment; and the constant pressure to manage a highly complex series of tasks in order to bring the flight safely to its destination. They are frequently away from home and as they step out of this high pressure, high control existence into their other life, they need to become “normal” partners, parents and friends.
This cycle is stressful in itself, but add to this the regular life circumstances we all face such as relational problems; family illnesses; children’s demands (to name a few), and an aviation professional’s life is, at times, super-stressed. On occasion, these pressures can stretch own stress management capabilities to their limit. Appropriate and credible support can make a huge impact during these times.
- We guarantee Confidentiality
- We earn Trust
- We create a Safe space
- We respond with Compassion
- Integrity and Honesty is embedded in all we do.
OUR VALUE PROPOSITION
Mayday-SA is positioned as an independent “port-of-call” dedicated to providing peer support for aviation license holders. In essence to:
- Provide confidential support to colleagues who may feel isolated and experience difficulty coping with emotional reactions and responses to circumstances arising from Critical Incidents and other forms of Life Crises.
- Endeavour to pre-empt and mitigate the long-term highly detrimental effects of trauma from such incidents and crises by providing a safe, confidential and supportive environment dedicated to the emotional wellbeing of those who seek us out
- Provide a “collegial gateway” to a network of carefully selected, trained external professional experts when further help is needed.
Click to read more about:
- Wendy Santilhano (082 496 8728)
- Margaret Viljoen (082 801 6571)
- Carl Bollweg (083 260 7521)
- Hugh Ben David (082 330 1100)
- Estie Delport (084 980 9800)
- Brad Geddes (083 384 0112)
- Japie Horn (083 258 7322)
- Koketso Ramokolo (082-796-8330)
- Sonia Ferreira (General Manager ALPA-SA)
- Anita Pieterse (ALPA SA)
To read more about Mayday-SA, click here
INFORMATION AND ARTICLES:
Know your medical - Mood Disorder Protocol
In those days there were four options. Follow this link to read more..
Know your medical-Mood Disorder ProtocolDownload